Thursday, February 6, 2014

Vision

"Vision without execution is hallucination" - Thomas Edison
I heard this quote today at a conference I was attending - no not given by Thomas Edison.  In all of the 74 marathons that I have run, I have always envisioned crossing the finish line. Maybe it is why I have never had a DNF or maybe I am just lucky.  I love this quote though because we all have visions of doing something.  Maybe vision can also be equated to hopes and dreams.  Maybe vision is one step further, being able to see the result of something specific.  However, without execution it is still a hallucination.  Hopes and dreams not realized.  When I think of the finish line of a marathon, I think about how I need to execute to get there -pace, fluids, food, handling hills or flats, weather, etc.  all the variables that have to be managed to get to the finish.  I envision all of these. The same should be done in life.  Don't hallucinate (although in ultra running, this might be expected) but envision and execute!

Today Day 37: 2 miles; 2014: 210 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment