Monday, February 10, 2014

Mirror, Mirror

It's been a long day and night going to Nottingham, UK from RDU through Washington DC.  In general, travel was good.  The challenge was going to be keeping my running streak alive.  The city of Nottingham, as a visitor, is not conducive to running.  The streets are crowded, narrow and they drive on the "wrong" (uh, left side) of the road here.  Since I run against traffic, running on the left would not be such an issue, but here I would run on the right side of the road.  Quite frankly, here I would rather run on the sidewalks.  The hotels here tend not to have fitness areas either.  So, I thought coming here was going to present me the greatest challenge to this point in keeping the streak alive.  I was pleased to see that a new fitness room was built at the Crowne Plaza, where I am staying.  There are three treadmills but all face a full length mirrored wall.  I have never seen myself run head-on.  I've run on treadmills but not facing mirrors. Of course, the first thing I examined related to my gait.  Does it look like I have a normal gait?  Yes, it looks like I do.  I'm not built like a normal runner.  I'm a bit bulkier but my arms, shoulders, head all appear to be going in the right direction - forward.  There doesn't seem to be wasted energy anywhere.  I do know that my posture gets worse as I get further into a marathon.  I must say, after a mile or so, there was no longer a reason to watch myself.  I could bore myself to death.  Mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the fairest runner of them all?

Today Day 41: 3 miles: 2014: 235 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment