Saturday, February 15, 2014

Valentine's Day + 1

... is a special day of love and I pray that everyone has someone to love them and to love in return.  I am blessed with Cynthia.  She never ceases to amaze me.  It was a long day as I traveled back from England to the U.S.  I also love getting back because I love getting back to Cynthia.  I really do not like the wasteful time traveling when we are not doing it together.  Business travel, although necessary, is wasteful in one's life and generally a hassle.  I awoke at 5 A.M on Friday, London time, which is midnight on the East Coast.  I like to get to the airport way before my flight, probably earlier than I need to.  With all the snow back East, I watched my flight status with grave interest.  Once through security, I parked myself in the Sky Team lounge for a little breakfast (very little because I am just not fond of the food in the UK).  The lounge also gave me access to mobile data so that I could monitor flight status and email.  I could not figure out how I was going to get my two miles in for the day.  I knew that I had a 20 hour day ahead of me.  London's Heathrow is a massive airport.  As I walked out of the lounge I noticed posted times listed to walk from one end of the terminal to the other.  Terminal 4 is very long.  So, I figured that I had enough time to walk loops in the terminal that could get me an estimated 2 miles.  Although you see people running in airports to catch planes, I didn't want to take the chance trying to run loops (not that I would have anyway) in fear of being arrested for some abnormal behavior in an airport.  So I went off on my journey and did 6 loops in the airport, estimating that I got in nearly 2 miles at a quick pace.  Actually, I welcomed getting in a little exercise knowing that I was going to be on a plane for nearly 8 hours.  It wasn't long after finishing my loops hat we boarded and started our journey to Newark.  I then had 3 hours layover in Newark, getting into Raleigh at 7 and home at 8.  20 hours of travel.  Terrible, but I thank God that I got home at all with all of the snow, airport cancellations and delays the day before.

Now comes the Valentine's Day part.  Cindy and I are practical people and we do things for one other without the other knowing, surprises if you will.  When I got home she gave me my Valentine's card as soon as I walked in.  It was lumpy.  After reading the card, I found a pair of keys.  Hmmmm, what could these possibly go to?  They are not car keys but more like lock keys.  She guided me out into the screened porch.  Well, here is a picture of my Valentine's gift!


If you take away the squiggly lines from the screen, it's a shed!  After we did the backyard this year, a shed was next in line.  Now, it is not the physical shed that is most important although she absolutely did great on working with the contractor to have it constructed.  I hate working with contractors and she is great at it.  First I tend to over-analyze and although I found the shed place online a few months ago, they had lots of options and I needed more analysis time. Hah, she took all of this off my plate and that is the best gift of all - somebody doing something for you to make your life easier, to help you, to know you, and to love you.  She planned it all out with the contractor for them to come the week I was away and through the blizzard had them work until it was done 20 minutes before I got home.  It was truly awesome!

It's great to be home.  I was able to put in 6 miles this morning as well.  It was a cold light rain but it felt so good to be running outside again that I  didn't even notice the rain.  I almost felt like I was gliding through the streets.  I hope to get 12 miles in tomorrow which will give me 30 miles for the week.  Of course, that counts the two miles walked in Heathrow.  I know that may or may not continue my streak but I think I am going to have other issues as I travel for business keeping the streak going.  The bottom line is miles and walking two miles is better than no miles, especially for those relying on meals from my mileage. 

I wish I could have been home all day on Valentine's day instead of traveling.  As I mentioned before, home is where the heart is - its where my heart is and Cindy's heart is and together we are home.

Today and Yesterday, Days 44 and 45: 2 and 6 miles:  2014: 250 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment