Sunday, January 5, 2014

What's a Heaven for?

"ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a Heaven for?" - Robert Browning via Amby Burfoot...  As you know I am contemplating RACE and which charity I will adopt this year.  Where else does one contemplate but on the "throne" (I won't explain this further).  The library near the throne is made up of running magazines that sometimes get refreshed but sometimes just get read over and over.  Yesterday, I picked up the November issue of Runner's World with Meb on the cover.  The one article that hit home with me when I first read it was Amby Burfoot's The Life of a Runner (and how you can too).  The page was folded back to the end of the article subtitled Set High Standards.  In the second paragraph, Amby noted this quote from his 8th grade Social Studies teacher.  Amby further wrote about his running and specifically aging through the years at the Manchester Thanksgiving day race.  He won the high school division in 1963 and many more open titles through the years.  He then set his sights on the Masters division (no such luck) and then 50+ (nothing) but did end up winning some 60+ titles.  He mentions that he still keeps tabs on himself through the age-graded calculator (see a previous blog post here about my thoughts on the age-graded calculator).  But, the most interesting part of this subsection came in the last few paragraphs, which I will quote because it is so strong and is on point related to RACE.

"Of course, we shouldn't judge ourselves by time alone. There are higher standards-much higher. Like good character, charity, and the examples we set for others.  I've seen so many huge changes in my 50 years of running: astonishing new world records, the women's running boom, the half-marathon explosion.  But the biggest by far is the generous work runners perform through their sport.  I'm thinking of cancer-support groups; the efforts of physically and mentally challenged individuals; prison programs [programs for the homeless]; shoe collection programs, and many more.

Some say running is a selfish activity, and I am no doubt partial proof of that.  But I also believe running is additive, not subtractive.  It increases our energy and our potential for good deeds; it doesn't diminish.  Like many others, I do what I can, when I can, for whom I can.  Browning's words still resonate with me.  I don't stretch my legs (as much as I probably should), but I try to stretch myself to see what I can achieve and what I can contribute.

Run long and healthy. Help others. It's a potent combination."

So, what are the chances that this section of this article from Amby, rolled back in an old Runner's World, sitting on top of the pile or other running publications, presents itself to me while I'm contemplating RACE?  God works mysterious ways and we all need to see the intricacies  of His path, like a fine, technical trail run over roots and rocks, twists and turns, hills and dales.  Stay In The Moment and see The Way forward or What's a Heaven For?!

Day 5: 6 miles; 2014: 35 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment