Friday, January 31, 2014

January Ends

Today, I have completed, for the first time in my life, a month where I ran every day for a total of 172 miles, an average of 5.54 miles per day.  I'm also positive that it has been a long time since I have run that many miles in a month.  I ran outside 30 of those days in temperatures as low as 5 degrees.  One day, I ran twice, both indoors and out.  I know people run many more miles than this in unimaginable temperatures.  But, there is something to be said for running every single day.  As I got older, I thought that I needed more rest/recovery days so there were days that I took off completely.  Yes, I know, these could have been cross-training days which would have been beneficial as well.  Now, with running every day in January, I have discovered a few things:

  1. You can always find time to run at least 2 miles per day
  2. The variable weather makes it interesting, almost like running a different course each day
  3. Recovery comes in the 2 mile runs, training comes in the longer, up-tempo runs
  4. My legs feel fresher than actually taking days off completely
  5. There is no decision to make.  Every day you know that you will run.  It's just a matter of when and where.
  6. Consistency matters
  7. Its good to have multiple pairs of shoes to alternate (more important in summer)
  8. It gives me something to write about
  9. I eat better (although I still have not been able to eliminate ice cream)
  10. Running for the charity that I have adopted, matters!
So now, February begins and a new challenge.  First up is the Miami Marathon on Sunday.  With temperatures in the 70's, I'm not expecting a whole lot except for a tour of Miami, Miami Beach and South Beach on foot.  It is, in essence, another training run with my goal race being Bataan.  The real challenge will be traveling over the next two weeks, one week in the UK.  let's see if I can figure out the running situation while having two days on a plane for 7 hours.

"The marathon can make you humble" - Bill Rogers

Today Day 31: 2 miles; 2014: 173 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment