Saturday, January 4, 2014

Serious Runners

To me, if you get out the door on a consistent basis, no matter what your pace, you're a serious runner.  Those who get out in the cold, the heat, the light, the dark, the rain, the bright sunshine, the wind, the snow, the days of prefect temperature, the days where temperatures are askew, onto the flat lands, the hills, then these are the serious runners.  I ran in Umstead State Park today in Raleigh, know for its hills throughout the bridle and single path trails.  I once completed 50 miles on the bridle trail during the Umstead 100.  Yes, only half the distance.  Since moving to Durham, I've made Umstead my core training ground for hills and to determine my fitness level.  Today, with the temperature around 25 degrees, the parking lot was nearly filled with serious runners, some bikers (also have to be a serious biker to tackle these hills on a bike), and some dog walkers.  It was almost like the joy found before a race, runners congregating, chatting and running together.  I hope the new year has brought more serious runners to the mental and physical fitness running affords us.

I also have narrowed my RACE down to Durham Rescue Mission and Urban Ministries Durham, both shelters for those in need of food, shelter and faith.

And, this is Day 4 of the streak - 11 miles today!

No comments:

Post a Comment