Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Primitive Connections

The challenge of a significant physical journey on foot unleashes some primitive connections to our identity of human beings - Jeff Galloway
These connections are enhanced on the trails, true trails, where you have to stumble your way over rocks, roots, mud, through water, up and down hills to get from one place to another in a natural environment.  The road doesn't provide the same connection, or I should say the same primitive connection.  The physicality and mentality required on both road and trail are not necessarily equal either.  Although physically harder, trail running is easier on the body believe it or not.  Terrain is usually softer although highly varied which allows for more muscles to be used and in different ways.  Before there were roads, human beings were running through forests, over mountains, blazing new trails.  Its our identity.

In order to be successful in a marathon, you have to know what you want out of it - Bill Rogers
 This is key for every marathoner especially the 99.9% who will never win a marathon or age group award.  What's interesting is that this quote is from Bill Rogers, one of the greatest marathoners of all time for his wins on Boston and New York City and a former American record holder.  Of course, most people see running as all about time.  I certainly did when I was younger, trying to set a personal best with each race, running to my maximum effort.  I still find time intriguing but I get so much more out of the sport these days, not only in races but through daily runs.  I'll be successful in every marathon that I run as long as I finish, which I have in all 73 marathons attempted.  Its because I know what I want out of each and every one of them.  Goals are different.  I may set a goal and stretch goal for time for either the entire marathon or a portion of it.  In Miami, its to train in heat and humidity and pace accordingly.  Temperatures will be in the 70's with 81% humidity.  Stark contrast to training in the 20's and dew points in negative numbers.  Success will come with the finish line and a paid sightseeing tour of Miami, South Beach and Miami Beach.  Yes, I know I can do this by car, but how primitive would that be?

Today Day 28: 2 miles; 2014: 165 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment