Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014

Here we are on the first day of 2014...Although I am not a huge fan of New Year's Day, I am a fan of a new start.  Running in 2013 was just OK and I'm thinking that it was just OK because of my weight gain.  I remained healthy and uninjured but the extra weight took its toll on my lower back, hips and sciatic nerve.  I was still able to run 6 marathons and 2 ultras.  If you take into account age-graded times, I ran one of my best marathon times in Kansas (4:13) but age-graded to 3:41.  I am sure that the younger folks won't look at age-graded times with much interest, hah, until they age themselves and their times slow.  I was quite happy with that time pacing with a couple of gal pacers (4:10) that stayed on pace throughout.  However, the rest of my runs were just downright hobbling.  I was able to add 3 more states to my collection of marathons states leaving only 5 to go.  The mountains-to-sea 50k was the toughest run of the year, moderately technical single-path trail in a beautiful setting of Falls Lake near Raleigh.  So what has to happen this year?  I need to drop about 15-20 pounds, do more tempo/speed work, stay on the hills, do more local races at shorter distances, and keep up the motivation.  Oh, I also want to write more here, publish some more artful pictures done by Cindy, maybe even do more with the local running community.  Its a New Year and all is possible again.

No comments:

Post a Comment