Thursday, January 9, 2014

Over the River and Through the Woods

In some of my older blog posts, I took songs that had some catchy words and with slight modifications, changed them into songs about running.  I'm hoping to do more of that this year.  I sometimes listen to music while running and other times I just want to hear quiet or all that is around me.  Today was a music day and one of the songs had lyrics that included "Over the River and Through the Woods".  No, I am not listening to nursery rhymes nor are we going to grandmother's house!  I think it was a Garth Brooks song.  Anyway, when it came on, sure enough I was fancy-stepping through the woods.  On normal trail runs though, one doesn't necessarily go "over" the river but through it as well.  This blog started because of a trail run.  Trail runs require you to be in the moment with each step, especially technical trails that are full of roots and rocks.  One wrong step, tired legs or just a lapse in concentration can take you for a spill, some of which can be dangerous or at least enough to bloody you up, sprain or break something.  Its kind of like that in life really.  Life is never like running on paved surfaces, at least not all of it.  Its much more like a trail run and mostly like the harder trail runs, the 5-5's.  While in Cincinnati a couple weeks ago, I ran in Mount Airy State Forest.  It is a pretty amazing place and has some very difficult trails, hills, rocks, roots, very uneven terrain and the stone steps.  What is thought of as Cincinnati's toughest Ultra, the Stone Steps 50K is multi-loop course that runs these trails and the stone steps 3 times.  The last two times I've been to Cincinnati, I have run portions of these trails and the stone steps.  First, it is unlikely anyone would actually "run" the stone steps.  They are seriously steep and long.  And I believe that it is harder going down than up.  Going up just requires strength.  Going down requires finesse and very careful footing.  Here are a few pictures.

Looking down the Stone Steps
Looking up the lower portion of the Stone Steps

Looking up the main portion of the Stone Steps
I'm not sure if I will ever run this Ultra although I am sure my mind has a different point of view.  We shall see.  But what I do know for sure is that "Over [Through] the River and Through the Woods" will be something that I will continue to do.  Humans were meant to do this, not to run on paved surfaces.

Today Day 9: 5 miles; 2014: 53 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment