Friday, January 24, 2014

As the Face Melts

As the World Turns, As the Face Melts...  Is this soap opera still on?  Is any soap opera still on?  This morning, it was a balmy 13 degrees with a wind chill of 5.  I'm not complaining because I could be living in the mid-west where the wind chill is in negative double digits.  Nevertheless, it is cold in NC.  Yes, I ran outside this morning at 7:15 and that was the temperature.  So, here is my routine of dressing for the run, because it is all about dressing right.  I'll just take you through the order of clothes, layer upon layer.  It takes me about 15 minutes to get ready.  Today, I dressed by the fire place, being warmed by a small fire.  I had my running shoes on the mantle warming them to a toasty temperature.

  1. Underarmour compression shorts
  2. Trail socks
  3. Long tights (you can decide for yourself whether you want to call these tights)
  4. Long sleeve Nike compression shirt
  5. Long sleeve Raleigh City of Oaks Marathon shirt
  6. Long sleeve shirt with thumb holes
  7. Long wind pants
  8. Marathon Maniacs (Brooks) wind jacket
  9. Notre Dame football helmet (have to see it but it is warm, but won't do anything to prevent concussions)
  10. 1 pair of light black gloves
  11. 1 pair of light cotton gloves
  12. body glide on face and nose
  13. Saucony Hurricane shoes
  14. Identification band (thank you Cindy)
Once I am dressed, I am warm so I can't stay inside too long or I will sweat and be cold once I step out the door.  The key is to keep the temperature consistent.  When I then venture out into the cold, it feels no different than being inside a warm house, except on my face.  I have worn a mask but I like to feel the cold, fresh, brash air on my face.  The body glide keeps it from chaffing but it still gets very cold.

You don't have to be a runner to experience the "As the Face Melts" phenomena.  Just spend 30 minutes to an hour outside in these temperatures - much less if you live in upper mid-west like Wisconsin - does cheese freeze?  Cow milk?.  When you come inside, it feels like your face is melting off your head, all over your shirt and into a puddle.  I have this image (OK, I just tried to draw it!) in my mind.


Then I found this one that also slightly looks like my melting face.


The point is, dress for the weather.  It is much easier to do in the winter.  When you come in, enjoy the meltdown, As the Face Melts!

Today Day 24: 4 miles; 2014: 145 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment