Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Battling Bastards of Bataan - Categories

One of the unique aspects of this event are the myriad of categories one can participate in.  I chose to participate in the civilian light category.  First of all, this is called a march so marching/walking especially with a 13 hour time limit is acceptable.  As you saw in the history, these prisoners were marched 65 miles to a prison camp.  Last year's winner ran around 3:05 and I think the final finishers was in the 13 hour neighborhood.  The heavy category is required to carry 35 pounds in their rucksacks/backpacks.  The light division is not required to carry any additional weight (hah!, I wish I was not carrying additional weight.)  I f I would have lost 35 pounds, I might have considered the heavy division.  The categories are then broken down by individual/team, military/civilian, ROTC, National Guard, male/female and then 10 year age groups.  I am in the 50-59 year age group.  The rules about what is to be worn can be found here.  There are more rules of what is to be worn for the military than what cannot be worn by the civilian.  My plan is to wear a hat with neck shade, CEP arm coolers (with UV protection), Inov-8 g\sock gaiters and then just regular running shorts and technical shirt.  My shoes will be Montrail Baja's.
 

I will also wear an UltraSpire Spry vest but unclear whether I will carry water in the reservoir or use a handheld.  Sloshing drives me crazy.  I suspect I might not be moving fast enough to slosh.  I am comfortable with handhelds.
It will likely be a gorgeous day.  The weather is calling for sunny skies and 77 degrees as a high but only 13% humidity.  Humidity is is my downfall so a dry 77 might not be so bad.  It just requires protection from the sun, hence, the neck shade and arm coolers with UV protection.  It is amazing when I sit here and look at this stuff.  The marchers back in 1942 had nothing, just their military uniforms and boots, nothing to protect them from anything and tortured along the way.  They were lucky to have a drink of water or any food at all.  This is luxury for me.  The military division will be wearing heir uniforms and boots along with other required items.  For this marathon, I will carry a compact camera and try to get some shots on the course.  Last year, the results for a civilian light participant ranged from 3:05 (winner) to 13:20.  Remember, there are also physically challenged individuals participating, many who have been wounded in war.  I am going to put in a full effort here and hope to finish in the top 25% of civilian light marchers.  I don't want to underestimate this course and I do want to enjoy the experience, but if I put in less than a full effort, I will feel like I am cheating the very individuals this is memorializing. Tomorrow I will discuss the course.

Today Day 76: 2 miles: 411 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment