Friday, March 7, 2014

Hamster Dance

I think there is an actual dance called the hamster dance.  I sort of felt like a hamster today as I ran 5 miles at the YMCA on an indoor track.  There are 17 laps to a mile so there are a lot of sharp turns - 85 laps and 340 right hand turns.  Today, everyone was running/walking clockwise, opposite of racing a car on an oval.  I should have switched every mile to give my right leg a rest but people kept coming onto the track and going in the same direction.  One of the songs that played on my shuffle had lyrics like " Round and Round and Round."  How appropriate is that?  I guess I could have climbed onto the treadmill and ran nowhere for 5 miles.  Of course, running in a climate-controlled environment on a soft surface without and wind or hills makes for a speedy (relative of course) workout.  There are indoor marathons of this nature.  I just wonder what the time differential would be running in a controlled environment vs. outside.  I suspect mentally, for 26.2 miles, it would be harder indoors.  It would probably drive me batty running 445 laps slowing down out of boredom.  Give me the hills, the elements, the trails, the road, whatever to keep me engaged in the run.  Of course, now I wonder whether I would rather run on a treadmill or the indoor track.  You go nowhere on the treadmill but can vary the workout with speed and incline. You go somewhere on the indoor track but it turns out to be nowhere.  You do get to pass people on the track, but mostly lapping walkers.  I think I have only run inside 4 times in the last 5 years so I really shouldn't be thinking this hard about it. 

Today Dave 66: 5 miles:  2014: 358 miles

1 comment: