Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Fan Zone

The Tobacco Road  marathon is this weekend.  Although the Tobacco Trail is just 2 miles from my house, and where I run at least 2 times a week, I am not running the marathon.  I've never had a marathon so close to my house.  So, Cindy and I are going to get to be fans this weekend.  It will be fun cheering on all of the runners.  Not to be unappreciative of fans, but I will try not to make the same comments some fans make.  Here are some examples:

You're almost there - I have heard this when I still have 20 miles to go and even if it is with 6 miles to go, I'm still not almost there.  When I am at mile 25, tell me that I am almost there.

It's all down hill from here - on hilly courses, when I hear this, I know darn well there will be another hill.  In essence, it is down hill until the next uphill.

You look great - I have heard this at mile 2 and if I don't look great at mile 2, I'm going to be in for a long, long day.  Now, hearing this at mile 24 can be a pick-me-up although I know it is not true.

I did a previous post on signs.  I do enjoy reading signs, especially the creative ones.  I like high fives too, not just from kids but from anyone.  There just seems to be a burst of energy that comes from it.  I dig the dogs that watch.  You have to believe that they are as excited as the runners and just want to get out on the course and run a bit.  I had that happen once in a 50K.  A dog wondered upon me on a trail, friendly and pretty dog.  She ran with me for almost a mile.  At one point she squatted and peed, right on the trail in front of me.  Encouraging the mid-pack and beyond runners is most fun: 1) they need it and 2) they appreciate it and 3) they interact with you.  For some of the faster runners, they think that you are throwing them off their pace.  It might jsut quicken their pace!  Anyway, this weekend is fan zone.

Today Day 70: 5 miles: 2014: 380 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment