Wednesday, March 12, 2014

An Experiment of One

"Everyone is an experiment of one." - George Sheehan
There is a lot in this sentence because it transcends our lives in everything we do.  Dr. Sheehan said this in the context of running.  His point is that what's good for me might not be good for you and vice versa.  We have different bodies, different lives, different stresses, different training routines but we are trying to reach a similar goal.  We need to experiment, to determine what works for us not only in our training but in our races.  When I was more of a racer, but still now when , I generally tell myself to run my own race.  This is especially true early when the pace feels good and I am a little beyond my means.  I sometimes think that every marathon teaches me something.  Maybe that is why I am so connected to the distance.  I love learning in general, but when you learn something about yourself, it changes your place in the world.  After 76 marathons, you'd think I know it all.  Speaking of 76 marathons, I miscounted and the last marathon was number 76, not 75.  How crazy is it to lose track of the marathons that you have run?  Anyway, life is the same experiment - you are not me and I am not you.  Be compassionate to other human beings.  In running, figure out what running is to you, how you can improve, how you can enjoy, how to make it a lifestyle, how to get the most from it and then how to give back through it.  If running isn't for you, then be an experiment in something else.  Be an experiment of one!

Today Day 71: 3 miles: 2014: 383 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment