Sunday, March 16, 2014

Maniac Cheer Zone

I've never been a spectator at a marathon that I didn't run.  I looked forward to today when Cynthia and I could welcome runners in the Tobacco Road Marathon.  The course is my home turf in a sense.  I looked forward to cheering as much as I look forward to running.  It is so much fun seeing the runners from all over the country.  Smiles and miles.  We were at mile 8.1 so being early in the marathon (also half), we were able to see most of the runners.  Ironically, the ones we missed were the leaders.  We stayed until the last runners and the 7 hour pacer came by.  The lady who was with the pacer told Cindy that she was 58 and it was her first marathon.  Of course, we saw many maniacs and we gave them some extra lovin'!  It was great to see their face light up when they realized that a maniac was there cheering them on.  I also saw Larry Macon, world record holder for the most marathons in a year, and had a very brief chat.  Cindy took some great pictures and enhanced a few capturing the true spirit of the run.  I must say, the mid- and back-packers seemed much more into the cheering.  I continuously rang a cow bell for nearly two hours.  It's hard work being a cheer zone!  One guy yelled, "more cow bell!"  Another one would not settle for a high five but needed a fist pump.  Many thanks us for being there.  But, the smiles said it all.  They were truly enjoying themselves on a perfected weather day for a marathon.  It was truly a fun day and I will be much more engaged with the cheer zones now.  I usually am anyway especially slapping the hands of the little ones.  I do a wind-up as I approach and slap right through.  There is an energy to that.  'What Day is it?, It's running day!"  After the cheering I ran 5 miles home, I was so pumped.

Today Day 74: 5 miles:2014: 407 miles

Here are some pictures taken and enhanced by Cindy.  Thank you Cynthia Anne for sharing the experience!











No comments:

Post a Comment