Tuesday, April 8, 2014

When I'm running...

"When I'm running I don't have to talk to anybody and don't have to listen to anybody.  This is the part of the day that I can't do without." - Haruki Murakami, novelist and author of What I Talk About When I Talk About Running
It sounds selfish in a way but I think we all need this. In this day and age of constant engagement of talking or listening, we all need that tiny bit of time which requires neither talking nor listening.  For me, it is during running where I am free to be me, to choose my own thoughts.  It may not be running for you, it could be reading, biking, gardening, whatever but I tell you now, you need to find a way to stop listening and stop talking for a small portion (or longer) of the day.  It actually makes you a better listener and talker when you need to be.  By the way, this book from Murakami is very good.  He is best known as a novelist but he shares his personal journey with running in this book.

Today Days 96-97: 6 miles: 2014: 520 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment