Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Life After 50 States

As I was lying in bed from 3 AM to 4:30 AM last night, with a myriad of thoughts crossing my mind, I thought about what marathons I would do after I reach my goal of doing a marathon in all 50 states, which will be accomplished, God willing, next year.  I have 4 left Alaska, Wyoming, Montana and Hawaii.  I also will likely run the DC marathon next March to throw in DC as well.  Let's say, conservatively, I run another 4 marathons along with these 5, that will put me at about 85 marathons, give or take 1-2.  That leaves 15 marathons en-route to 100, which is my goal after 50 sates and DC.  I thought about the Canadian provinces which would be another 10 marathons.  Two other marathons came to mind immediately - Big Sur, CA and Mount Desert Island, Maine.  There are so many marathons and so little time (and money).  I need to do some international ones as well and what about ultras?  How about the 7 continents?  I may not be fast enough to qualify for Boston or rich enough to run every weekend, but I am determined enough to keep running and finding joy in every step between a marathon starting line and a finish line.  The beauty of the marathon is that runners, no matter their talent, is sharing the same course with the elite runners.  The last finisher yesterday in Boston ran the same course and likely had the same exhilaration as Meb did when he crossed the finish line.  The marathon is unparalleled in sport.  I can't go up to bat against a Cy Young award winner or catch a pass for a touchdown from Aaron Rodgers but I can run the same course as Bill Rodgers or Meb Kaflezighi.  I can understand the same challenges of pace, unrelenting hills, and the resistance of the body and mind at mile 23.  I could have a conversation with Ryan Hall or Shalene Flanagan because I can relate to their experience.  If I spoke to a major league baseball batter, what would I say?  Oh, I played Little League baseball too.  Of course, it is all relative but the running community is different.  When you're a runner, you're not part of it as a fan but as a participant.  Life after 50 will only get better.

Today Day 111: 5 miles: 2014: 593 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment