Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Trail

The trail was narrow and littered with rocks the size of grapefruits. Rocks and roots make this trail challenging as each step must be carefully placed to ensure that a face plant doesn't occur.  What if it did?  I guess it depends on where it takes place.  If it is in a place with broken trees and limbs, I guess you could be impaled, but likely not.  I have never heard of a trail runner impaled by a fall.  I guess you could hit your head on a rock but you would have to twist your body in such a way that catching yourself would not be possible.  Could you fall down a cliff?  I suspect that is possible depending on the elevation of the trail.  The most likely event is roughed up knees, hands and arms.  Sporting bloody knees or some brush burns is a badge of honor on the trail.  Not that I would recommend it, but certainly there is no shame in it.  The trail is a beast.  The trail is a challenge.  The trail is what communes us with our human nature.  It brings the best out in us.  The trail does not allow the mind to wonder too far off the beaten path.  It punishes you if you do.  The trail harasses you. it demands your attention.  Its like a dog wanting his dinner.  Feed me!  Even soft trails, those covered in pine needles, want you to engage with them.  The trail is fearless but projects fear upon us.  The trail is worth the effort.  Running the trail requires strategy but the ability to make instant decisions when your mind and body is being taxed.  The trail is merciless.  It doesn't care who you are or how great a runner you think you are.  It is always there to humble you and make you respect it.  I have run 25 miles in a 50K on a sprained ankle due to the Trail's insistence on not allowing me to own it.  The trail says, "I am the trail and I own you, you don't own me."  The trail says to the road, "You're too easy on these people, man-up and put a little grit in your teeth!"  The trail says, "join me for a little fun!  Get dirty and find a good trail but don't think it will be your friend.

Today Days 105-106: 10 miles: 2014: 564 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment