Friday, May 9, 2014

When the Non-elite Are Elite

I read an article today in Runner's World about elite runners converging on Flagstaff to live and train.  Ryan Hall lives there but he is truly elite, meaning, he can make a living as a professional runner.  Meb obviously can make a living not only from winning marathons but with endorsements.  The other "elite" runners in Flagstaff consider themselves professional runners but few if any has made a living as one.  That's fine because I haven't made a living as one either and never will.  As I thought about it, I don't think it would even be fun as a professional runner.  Yes, I'd love to be able to clock some 5-6 minute miles leading NYC or Boston.  Heck, I would be happy just to qualify for Boston.  Being non-elite means that I can run as many marathons, half-marathons and other events as I want.  This gives me so many memorable experiences not only in the marathons but at the places I visit.  The elite folks generally run 2 marathons, maybe 3 a year and they are usually the big city ones.  They miss the opportunity to run the smaller and mid-sized races.  They also miss some of the most beautiful courses in the world.  The article also mentioned that among the Flagstaffers, their total prize money among the 6-8 of them has probably been about $300 in total.  I think I will spend the $300 to run 3 marathons on beautiful courses around the country.  Sometimes when you are elite at anything, you miss so more of life.  I'm fortunate to run all over the country in any distance and in any town that I want.  I work to be able to do it and I would not trade it for an elite runner status.  Would I love to be a better runner?  Absolutely, runners strive to be better - go faster, go farther.  But, what makes me elite in my own way  is that I strive to absolutely do my best, I pay to run, I pay to travel, and I run by my own free will.  It's a great freedom.

Day 129: 6 miles: 2014: 661 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment