Friday, May 23, 2014

Run With the Big Dogs

"I can run with the big dogs, or lie on the porch, and not even move."  This Waylon Jennings song makes it sound like a choice and I guess it is.  It is a choice that each of us make each day.  Sometimes, you just don't feel like gettin' off the porch, especially on a hot summer day.  A nice glass of iced sweet tea, shade, and a warm breeze making the wind chimes jingle-jangle.  But no, we choose to run with the big dogs.  We choose to walk out the door, down the steps and onto the road or trail.  It doesn't matter if it is in the middle of summer, a downpour, frigid temperatures, or whatever else Mother Nature throws at us, we get off the porch.

This week I had to work UK hours but from the US.  For my last two marathons, I had to get up between 3:30 and 4:00 AM.  I like at least 2 and more like 3 hours before a marathon to get going.  So, getting up at 3:30 to start my UK day from the US wasn't all that crazy.  However, it took me out of my normal running routine for my 7:00 AM runs.  The later it gets in the day, the worse my run will likely be.  Part of it is because of sitting for so many hours.  I feel stiff and it takes me longer to get the blood flowing to where it should be.  But, I still got off the porch and did it.  Sometimes it's not during a run where we feel so great but no matter how bad the run is, we always feel great afterward.  So, get off the porch and run with the big dogs and then come back and enjoy some iced tea and shade.

Days 139-143: 17 miles: 2014: 732 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment