Sunday, May 18, 2014

Eyes on the Prize

The Need for Self-Discipline

24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. 27 No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. 1 Corinthians 9:24-27

This may be true as written by Paul in a letter to the Corinthians.  Only one runner gets the prize.  Meb won the Boston Marathon.  Does anyone remember who came in 2nd or 3rd or 10th?  We don't but each runner does.  The prize for 99.9 percent of us is the finish line.  It's my prize and likely yours.  I cherish it and find that getting there the fastest and best way I can gives me a crown, a prize.  True, it won't last forever, just until the next marathon and when I die, will anyone remember?  No.  In our spiritual world it is different, we seek the crown that will last forever, just as Paul does.

A few weeks ago I ran the Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon.  Since my other marathons in January and March were hard efforts, hills, heat and sand or a combination thereof, I thought that the Flying Pig could be one of my peak events.  Although I run many marathons a year I am convinced that I can only peak at 2 or 3.  With the first 3 being hard, I figured the Pig would be my first shot at a peak.  For Cincinnati, the course looked fairly benign with much of the second half or last 3/4 net downhill.  I have said it before, running downhill is almost like cheating but at my age I will take any advantage that is legal.

The expo is one of the larger ones and they make you serpentine through the myriad of vendors to get to the race t-shirts.  This is fine as runners need to support the sponsors of events.  Being in Cincinnati, I signed up Bree to do the Diaper Dash, 25 yards of fun for 2-3 year-olds.  For the fun we had see this post.  Bib. Check. Gu. Check. T-shirt. Check. Poster. Check.  I like to get to expos early so that I know everything is in order and I can focus on running.  On Saturday, I ran into Ryan Hall in the elevator.  This was after the family had gone for a swim so everyone , except me, were in swimsuits.  Unless, you are a runner, you generally would not know who Ryan Hall is and certainly not know what he looks like. When we got in, he was the only one in the elevator and we were only going 1 floor.  I did a double-take and then said, "Ryan, congratulations on Boston."  He came in 20th.  It wasn't until the next day after the marathon that the story broke about how he helped Meb win the race, certainly not taking anything away from Meb, but strategically working with the other USA runners to settle into a pace with the African runners while Meb increased his pace. Cindy recognized him too after I said "Ryan".  He does hold the American records for the full and half marathons.  Anyway, I did tell him how great it was to help Meb.  It was just a very cool impromptu meeting.

Race Day

It was an early start for the marathon, 6:30 AM.  I was awake and up by 4 and out the door by 5:30.  I envisioned the corrals to be a disaster like Miami, cramped with long waits.  To my surprise the corrals were well managed and even had porta-potties in each corral.  There was plenty of room which allowed for some light stretching.  They had a live band playing as well and there was lots of energy as there typically is at the start.  The gun sounded right at 6:30 and this  is where I thought that 20-25 minutes would go by before getting to the start line.  I was in corral E indicating that my projected finish would be 4:15.  To my surprise, we all started together and I reached the start line within 5 minutes.  The first few miles were crowded with half-marathoners and relay folks.  My pet peeve in marathons (or really any events) are walkers deciding to start up front.  I love everyone being active and participating but if you are a walker, start in the back.  Cindy and Bree were going to be on the course at mile 5.  I was looking forward to seeing them.  It takes me at least 5 miles and sometime more to warm up and get the kinks worked out and into a running grove.  The first 5 miles were just that but also making my way through the crowds.  We crossed the Ohio river over into Kentucky - Newport and Covington and then back into Cincinnati to run 7th avenue.  There were a lot of people cheering and I finally found Bree and Cindy.  It was a welcome hello and a place I could drop my arm sleeves and glasses.  I quick kiss to both and off I go, now feeling like I can get into that running groove.  I won't see anyone at the finish so my motivation must come from me.  Keep my eyes on the prize!  The only major hill was between 6 and 9 miles.  With all my training and marathons on hills earlier in the year, I managed it well.  Of course, knowing that miles 9 - 26 were mostly rolling or downhill helped me conquer it.  Frankly, I don't remember much else of the course except that there were a lot of musicians (much more than the Rock n Roll marathons), a lot of fans, some tailgating, and some very fast sections.  I was able to leave it all out on the course.  At about mile 19, I caught up to the 4:10 pace group.  They started in the corral in front of me.  At that point I was running at a 4:06 finish pace.  I ran with them and eventually passed them until mile 24.  I left so much on the course at this point that my legs were finding it hard to churn at mile 22.  I still felt like I could break 4;10 but just couldn't hold it together.  The crowds at the finish were thick and I was able to find my prize in 4:12:37.  At 54, it was my best time since May 2011.  The finish line food was scattered with goodies and I was hungry.  I ate 3 packs of snack cakes, some fruit salad, a some Sun chips.  My prize of the day was a great medal, a 3-year best time, and a beer.  It was a race well done by Cincinnati, the volunteers, law enforcement, race organization and fans.  A good time had by all in both the piglet's race and the marathon.

Ryan Hall's first commentating gig.  He also won the 10K in 30 minutes and change.

Starting Line

Live band at the starting line.  Nice touch.

The finish line festival


Sponsors on the bridge at mile 1







A little bit of Shock Top and my medal

Trying to Selfie afterwards

Ohio River

Finish line near Great American Ballpark


Days 135-138: 29 miles: 2014: 715 miles

3 comments:

  1. What bible are you quoting from as parts of your "quoted" scripture are thoroughly inaccurate as portions 25-27 are not correct and have been modified/defiled as Paul did not state anywhere in the bible mentioning the word "boxer" and so forth. Look in to a King James bible or NKJ one. Nice story btw though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These verses are from the NIV. All versions of the bible have been modified, defiled as you put it, in some way, all are translations. I am not a biblical scholar and I am sorry that the translation that I read and understand is not yours, the KJV. I try to apply the bible to my life and on this blog, get inspiration for running. Thank you for the comment.

      Delete
    2. NIV as suspected I can spot their loose interpretations/translations a mile away but nevertheless if that interpretation is what brings you to the Father then continue on and do not apologize to me as I wish another Christian nothing but success so God bless you in your running endeavors and continue the good fight brother!

      Delete