Wednesday, August 27, 2014

The Tetons Are Calling

It is hard to believe that in 54 years, I have not been to Western Wyoming to the Tetons and Yellowstone.  We live in such a big country made smaller by today's air travel.  Unfortunately, air fares prohibit many people from exploring this great country.  I feel blessed being able to travel to all 50 states and even more blessed that I have had my health over the last 14 years enabling me to run marathons in each of these states.  I still have 3 to go but after this weekend in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, only 2 in Montana and Hawaii which I will complete net year, God willing.  I also hope to run the USA marathon in Washington DC in March making it 50 states and DC.  The Jackson Hole Marathon Facebook page posted this picture today.  The view spans 16 miles of the marathon course, running from Jackson to Teton Village.


This is another marathon where carrying a camera on the course is a must for the views and potential wildlife.  The marathon will be run at elevation, 6,200 feet which will require some acclimation in the early miles.  I have only run two marathons at elevation, Boulder and Deadwood.  Boulder was only at 5,200 feet and Deadwood started at over 6,000 but finished at around 4,500.  This will likely be a challenge and require management in the beginning of the run.  The course is a "V" shaped course, running southwest from Jackson and then northwest to Teton Village.  I suspect the Grand Teton will be in view during the second half.



Th course does appear that it is uphill from mile 10 but from what I have read, it appears flatter. The more challenging part of the weekend will be packing in as much sight-seeing as we can with only two and a half days of time available.  It isn't like Alaska where the sun doesn't go down until 11 PM.

I am unclear of my expectations of how I will perform.  I know it is all in the finishing but I have have had two consistent marathons in a row.  I know that I need to start slower to acclimate to the altitude, especially since the initial miles are uphill.  There is no use in busting it up a hill at altitude in the first few miles only to suffer later.  I have not had a lot fo great runs since Alaska although the best run was the most challenging on the 12 miles of hills at Umstead.  The humidity hasn't helped either.  The weather should be great in Wyoming with most of the run in the 45-60 degree range.

Oh, this is also a milestone marathon - number 80.  Who would have thought that in 1994 with my first marathon in NYC and then in 2001 with my second in Baltimore, that I would have gone on to run my 80th.  Now, I hope to plan it out that I reach 90 marathons when I complete the states in Hawaii and 100 marathons/ultras combined.  Again, God willing as He has kept me in his grips throughout.

Days 236-239: 13 miles: 2014: 1,152 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment