Saturday, August 2, 2014

Salmon Runs - Whittier

Whittier is tiny fishing village and harbor sitting on the Prince William Sound with a few restaurants serving the daily catch and donut shop that serves them up warm.  We could not get enough of the views in Whittier, the glacial blue waters matched by the green mountains rising up from the water.  Our hotel sat right on the water overlooking the harbor and mountains.  I could write all about the views but do never do justice to the beauty so we shall tell the story with some of Cynthia's pictures.  For those of you thinking this has nothing to do with running, this is the journey to get to the place to run 26.2 miles.


Whittier Harbor

Our hotel off in the distance

Contemplating the beauty of it all

Glacier high above Whittier with water fall
Whittier Harbor


Mountains with waterfalls


Prince William Sound at Whittier


Native walking her Reindeer

Amazing picture of two Bald Eagles looking at one another taken from our room at the Inn

Our Inn at Whittier with the glacial blue water
Contrast in color

Alaska Railroad bridge over glacial creek
Harbor and mountains

In memory of those lost at sea

Our Ferry to Cordova - Car and all
Take me to the river
And wash me down
Won't you cleanse my soul
Put my feet on the ground

Take me to river of love
Take me to the river of faith
Take me to the river of hope
take me to the river of joy
take me to the river of life

The next journey was getting from Whittier to Cordova and the Copper River Delta, a 3 hour 15 minute tour of Prince William Sound.

Days 211-214: 17 miles, 2014: 1,051 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment