Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Run DRM

Bull City Running is the premier running store in Durham.  Last year I bought a shirt emblazoned with Run DRM in big bold letters, obviously DRM, meaning Durham.  Today, I committed to adopting the Durham Rescue Mission for my running this year, so now, DRM will mean Durham Rescue Mission.  With the temperatures in the single digits overnight and the wind chills below 0, the Durham Rescue Mission was filled beyond capacity, not turning anyone away.  Volunteers proactively went out to find homeless on the streets that were in danger of the frigid temperatures.  DRM offers shelter, food, healthcare in a Christian faith-based environment for the homeless, poor and working poor.  There are two divisions, Men's and Women's/Children's.  I have committed to Operation Daily Bread supporting both divisions.  To learn more about DRM, visit their website at Durham Rescue Mission.  I have committed $1 for every mile run this year.

Here is a snip-it of the email that I sent to DRM:

... Being a newer resident of Durham, I only know about DRM from the website and facebook page, an article written in one of the local newspapers and some news reports but the mission is something that I want to support. Why attach running to it, you may ask? Certainly, I could do this resting in the quiet comfort of my home, but it would defeat the purpose of the effort required to help someone else. As I run the streets of Durham on hot, freezing cold, or rainy days, I want to make each step meaningful for those who are living in those conditions but have a place like DRM to go to for shelter, food, health and Christian faith. Runners are also one of the most charitable groups on the planet....

This morning, when the temperature showed 9 degrees, I was anxious to get outside into the cold knowing that the steps I was taking outside in the frigid temperatures were going to help the people brought in from the cold by DRM.  I dressed appropriately and ran 4 miles in cold, brisk but bright sunshine (at least at the end).  I'll likely run 1500 miles this year so each mile, 1, 10 or 26 is still meaningful.

I am not pretending to know what it is like to be homeless, down-on-your-luck, impoverished or working poor nor do I really know anyone who is, but I see the lines standing outside of shelters waiting for a hot meal, determining if there is room at the Inn for a warm night's sleep, some needing immediate healthcare and know that in some way, help is needed.  I do this humbly and only write about it to show that we all can make a difference in our own way for our own personal convictions.  I challenge others, runners or not, to adopt a charity each year.  I like to associate it with running because that is what I do.

"For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you, ‘You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land.’"  Deuteronomy 15:11

Today Day 7: 4.2 miles; 2014: 41.67 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment