Wednesday, January 8, 2014

12.0

This morning, I ran my normal 4.27 mile route around Parkwood.  It was a nice crisp morning again with no wind but still a brisk 17 degrees.  At lunch I decided to run another 3 miles at the YMCA on the "dreadmill".  The YMCA is close to work so I can usually get in a lunch-time run.  Normally, when I go to the Y, I run the greenways and single path trails around Bond Park. There is good variety with pine needle trails, some easy single-path technical trails and paved greenway paths.  The interconnection among the trails can take you many miles.  I had yet to run on one of the treadmills at the Y (they also have an indoor track).  Commercial treadmills are full of features and functions and the Y's is no exception.  Along with an ipad connection, they also have TV, running programs like fat burning, 5K, hills, etc.  I usually just press go and moderate the incline and pace throughout.  Moderating the pace on this treadmill involves a touchscreen.  OK, no big deal to use the touchscreen as I'm running alternating between an 8:30 and 9:30 pace.  However, the "up" arrow is next to the highest pace bar.  I didn't realize that touching the pace bar anywhere on the bar would put you at that pace.  Wanting to put the pace at 7 mph and trying to use the "up" arrow, I inadvertently hit the pace bar at the 12 mph mark.  Ut oh, for you that don't know, running 12 mph is a 5 minute per mile pace.  I nearly flew off the back of the treadmill, over the rail into the net separating the racquetball court from the upstairs track. Oh my gosh!!  The crazy thing?  Today's top marathoners run a sub-5 minute pace for 26.2 miles!  WTF (Where's The Finish?).  And yes, the world record for the mile is 3:43.  Think of that, running 17 football fields in 3 minutes 43 seconds.  I'm quite sure that the treadmill never got to 12.0.  It was beyond my capability way before that!  

Today Day 8: 7 miles, 2 runs; 2014: 48 miles

3 comments:

  1. You're either bad at math or an over exaggerating liar!!!!!! "Top marathoners" don't run at a freaking sub 5 minute pace! For instance the Olympic gold winner from 2012 ran 26.2 miles in 2:07:20 which equates approximately to a 5:25s pace per mile dude. Anyways I like your stort until iread that as I hate added misinformation to an already littered world full of it. Good day sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://inthemomentrunning.blogspot.com/2014/06/really-seriously.html

      Delete
    2. Hey anonymous! Did you see the latest "In The Moment Running" blog from today 6/16/14? You should definitely take your own advice and quit littering the world with misinformation and take a math class. Wrecked!

      Delete