Sunday, November 16, 2014

Mission Accomplished

Preview

On January 7, 2014 I committed to adopting the Durham Rescue Mission as my "running charity."  My goal was to run 1500 miles in 2014.  My initial thought was to donate $1 for every mile ran but after touring the Mission with Tony Gooch, I was called to donate the cost of a meal for every mile run.  Mission Accomplished as well as Mission, Accomplished!  Yesterday I finished a 10 mile run on the American Tobacco Trail which gave me 1,508 miles for the year.  I am humbled that God has given me the capacity to run and the means to donate.  Today, the Durham Rescue Mission celebrates its 40th birthday hence Mission, Accomplished.  The placement of a comma represents two achievements, me achieving success reaching my goal of 1500 meals for the Mission and the Mission achieving its success for the many souls who have entered its doors.  However, the mission does not end here, it continues.  It must continue both as a mission for me to give back through running and contribute to this great ministry and for the Mission to give hope to those who seek it's help.  The story is quite amazing and worth reading with the history being captured in a book.  2.05 is not a lot of money but to a person who has not eaten it means a hot meal prepared by people who care for his/her well-being.  Its not only the offering of a meal, but a place to stay and a program of commitment to help mend shattered lives in the glory of God.  Today, 40 years later, the Durham homeless shelter and urban rescue mission has room to house and provide food, vocational training, counseling and much more.   Having two divisions, the women's Good Samaritan Inn and the men's Center of Hope provides for 400 men, women and children in the Triangle area - Durham, Raleigh, Chapel Hill.

If you have followed me on this journey this year, please consider donating to the mission today, on its 40th birthday.  Durham Rescue Mission is a 4-star charity on Charity Navigator.  Through your gift of 2.05 or more, you can help countless others in need.  Click here to donate now.


Days 313-320: 40 miles, 2014: 1,508 miles
(anything in orange above is clickable)

No comments:

Post a Comment