Thursday, October 23, 2014

...and God shuffled His feet.... Baltimore Marathon

Once in awhile, in the marathon, you have to rely on more strength than what you can muster, particularly in the late miles.  Whatever, whomever, wherever you can draw that strength from is where you focus.  I tend to find strength in a few areas: other runners, spectators, but most importantly God and Cynthia Anne.  I drew upon all of these in completing my 14th consecutive Baltimore Marathon since running the inaugural in 2001.  Its been a wonderful event over the years staged by Corrigan Sports Enterprises (CSE) and until recently headlined by Underarmour.  There is no doubt that Underarmour should be the title sponsor of this running festival (or at least the marathon) as they are headquartered right on the course and are one of the best sports brands in the world.  They still provide the high quality shirts for all the events.  I hope that they continue to do so for many years.  CSE has always listened to the runners, even after 14 years, making adjustments to enhance everything about the festival to make it the premier running festival that it is.  I am confident that they will continue to do so and again attract a premier title sponsor.  I also believe that The Baltimore Running festival should be inducted into the Legends Museum on its 15th birthday next year.

Due to the potential of the beloved Baltimore Orioles playoff run to the World Series, CSE kept us informed every step of the way with contingency plans.  I can't imagine all of the meetings, negotiations and approvals (up through the Governor's office) behind the scenes to pull off a weekend where the Baltimore Running Festival, Baltimore Oriole's playoff games, and the Baltimore Ravens football game would all occur within a 48 hour period.  Unfortunately and fortunately the Orioles lost to the Royals in four games.  The only modification to the festival was an earlier start time for all events and 7 AM for the marathon and marathon relay.  I welcomed the earlier start time which gave me more time to enjoy Baltimore after the marathon.  I hope that they continue with it.

Please click below to continue reading including lots of pictures.


The marathon starts just outside of Camden Yards.  There is always a lot of energy at the start - fire trucks, police, politicians, sponsors who have supported the marathon over 14 years.  But lets not forget about the runners because they are energized themselves and anxious to get started.  I also cannot remember a bad weather day for the Baltimore Marathon.  This year was no exception with temperature around 56 degrees at the start and a brilliant blue sky, sunshine and low humidity at the finish.
  



Baltimore FD gave us a huge flag to salute
The Legends Museum

The course has changed over the years for the better compared to the 16-18 miles of uphill running in 2001.  The first 4 miles is uphill to the Baltimore Zoo.  Its a good way to ease into the marathon and prevents too fast a start.  Approaching the Zoo outside of Druid Park, there is a Raven waiting for us as we approach the gate.  We then proceed into the zoo to the new African Penguin exhibit.  Who knew there were penguins in Africa?  When I ran past, the chosen penguin was being interviewed - go figure.  Otherwise, it was cheering on the runners with its handler.  After the zoo, we continued our journey downhill through Druid Hill Park and up toward Johns Hopkins University.  It is a pleasant run through this stretch as the rolling hills allow you to use different muscles.  Once you hit mile 6, it is straight down hill to the inner harbor.  Throngs of people are waiting because this is the first viewing point for any of your personal fans who were with you at the start.  It is also where the half-marathon starts.  There are nearly 4-5 times more half-marathoners than marathoners.  They are anxiously waiting to run but drawing energy from the marathoners and relay runners as they wisp by.  This area at around miles 8-9 is where I draw my energy as well.  Cynthia Anne is always waiting on Pratt street so from mile 6 I am anxiously waiting to see her.  I think I surprised her this time, not by my blinding speed, but with so many runners, you have to be diligent to find your runner.  After seeing her, I also draw energy from the half-marathoners knowing that they are to embark on their journey on the hardest part of the course, many of them first timers up for the challenge of the hills.  You really have not experienced a marathon or half-marathon until you have battled hills, especially like those in Baltimore, late in the race.  I break up Baltimore in stages: first 4 miles, miles 4-9, 9-13, 13-16, 16-23 and 23-finish.

Running down Light Street 8.75 mark

Down past the half-marathon start on the left

Me in all black

Obedience and Protection

Not sure what kind of dance this is...
Miles 9-13 are run out and around Federal Hill to Underarmour's headquarters and back to the inner harbor.  It is also an out and back where you can see your friends.  This is another energizer for me.  The final wave of the half-marathon is just starting, there are a lot of spectators because we are back at the inner harbor and I get to see Cynthia Anne for the third time.  It is banana time for me.  She is always there and always has a banana.  I count on her and she is my energizer bunny!  It is also the half-way point but it is the easiest half.  I reached half-way in 2:05, right on a pace of 9:30 per mile.  
Seeing Cynthia Anne at mile 13 - looking pretty spry after running 13

To me, the next section miles 13-16 are the hardest mentally, because it is slightly boring and not a lot of energizers even though it is through one of the most interesting parts of the city, Fells Point.  Maybe it is because I know that the hills are coming.  I hold my pace through this section including the cobblestones at mile 14 in the East Harbor reaching mile 16 - the merge.

The merge used to bother me, especially when there wasn't a "lane" for the marathoners.  This is an example of CSE listening to their runners.  It is now a slow merge, or I should say, an eventual merge.  We merge with the half-marathoners and at my pace, the slower half-marathoners.  The merge requires some side-stepping, picking your spots almost like an football running back.  Maybe that is why I have adapted, being a former running back.  It is also where I pick up some energy but it is also where the hills begin, some serious hills no less.  Since my pace is faster than many of the half-marathoners at this point, passing them energizes me and helps me get up the hills.  The hills continue (with some slight short downhills) through nearly 20 miles with the steepest hill at mile 19, the Johnny U. hill, up toward the water transporter (provided water to the village in early years) to Clifton Park (once owned by John Hopkins, the person).  Mile 20 starts the long arduous journey around lake Montebello, the reservoir that provides water to the City of Baltimore.  It is only a 1.3 mile loop but seems much longer.  It is truly a sight because all you can see around the lake are runners.  It tends to be windy as well.  Although I call it arduous because it seems like it will never end, it is really a beautiful run.  It also gives the legs a break from the hills since it is all flat.  Of course, more hills await.  After the lake, there is a long, steady uphill certainly through mile 22 but more like through mile 23.  Mile 23 is where I can finally feel like I am in the home stretch.  There is generally someone dressed like a Tiger dancing to Eye of the Tiger outside the Baltimore brownstones.  Certainly there is some energy but this is where the hills take their toll because you just want the hills to end.  Even the slightest uphill feels hard.

The final stretch from mile 23 is really where you can feel the finish is at hand but it is not until miles 24 and then 25 when you see the Bromo Seltzer Tower off in the distance - the one with the big clock face on it.  Unfortunately, before the marathon started, my watch lost battery, so I had to rely on intermittent time clocks to know how I was doing.  The Bromo Tower gave me an idea of where I was for a finish time.  I certainly had slowed due to the hills but kept running.  This is where the strength that God provided me came into play.  This is where God shuffled his feet and I followed.  Throughout the hills, I repeated the mantra, just run, just keep running and envisioned God/Jesus towing me hand-in-hand.  And, I kept running, not like Darlington, not like Wyoming, but put a conscious effort into the run and my strength.  I also knew Cynthia Anne was waiting for me among the many spectators at the finish.  I love to stop for a kiss and hug as I near the finish.  The finish in Baltimore is a bit surreal because it runs down the promenade on Eutaw Street between the warehouse and the right field of Camden yards.  Before entering the gate at Camden yards, fans are amass.  Then entering the gate, a deafening silence falls upon your ears as no spectators are allowed in this section.  It brings total relaxation knowing that the finish is less than a quarter mile away.  Whoosh.  We leave that area and the crowds are upon us again and this is where I see Cynthia Anne.  What a sight for sore eyes or should I say sore legs, sore body.  I stop for the welcome home kiss and hug and quickly get to the finish line.  4:22:08, marathon 82, 14th Baltimore and looking forward to number 15.

Banana Splits
The promenade
Runner helping runner - both marathoners
Out of silence to the finish
Spokesperson for Utz

 


I have my eye on you!
The finish area has improved over the years.  There was ample finishing room in the chute, easy medal pickup and the food lines were non-existent this year due to providing more lines.  There was heightened security and Cindy actually had to toss her old "raggy" purse because there were no bags allowed in the celebration village.  The Baltimore Police and other agencies were certainly out in force.  I must say, they do a great job for the festival, actively engaged but nice.  Overall, it is a great marathon experience.

After marathon adventures!

Days 295-296: 5 miles, 2014: 1400 miles


No comments:

Post a Comment