Wednesday, June 4, 2014

National Running Day

Inspire or be inspired!  Today is National Running Day.  Yesterday, I was running one of my normal loops around Parkwood.  About halfway, I car stopped and a guy yelled out the window.  I had ear phones on and couldn't hear him well. I stopped and asked what he said.  "You're inspiring man, and I am trying to do more too."  I said, "That's great, if I see you out here, we will run a few miles together!"  We shook hands and off we went.  I hope to see him again, out enjoying the day, walking, biking or of course, running.  It doesn't have to be miles. I'll run with him however far or long he wants.  I don't know if I have ever been stopped by a stranger before to say I was inspiring.  I suspect he has seen me run through the neighborhood enough on a consistent basis, that he wanted to start doing something himself.  It made me feel great because I don't preach running to people.  I hope to inspire people by example.  Run and be happy, show the passion and love for sport.  Inspiration comes from watching those who do.  I was inspired the same way by my nephew Shawn with Christianity, God and Jesus.  He set a good example of what a follower should be, raised his family that way and lives with the Word.  As much as I run, people might ask, how do I stay inspired, or what continues to inspire me?  Actually, its other runners - the ones making the effort to get out there day after day and make running a lifestyle.  I have seen so many runners, all shapes, sizes and paces and each inspire me.  I see runners run past my house, people I know, yet I don't because I see them each day at the same time.  I know the energy and effort running takes, especially doing it consistently.  It is when I feel I am me or as Kenny Chesney would say, "be as you are."  I also know running isn't for everyone so walkers and bikers and those who choose other forms of movement are also inspiring.  Do one or the other, inspire or be inspired!

Days 153-155: 14 miles: 2014: 795 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment