Thursday, June 12, 2014

Copper River Wild



My mind is starting to focus on my next marathon, state 47 in Cordova, Alaska.  You've never heard of Cordova?  Well, either had I until I went marathon googling in Alaska.  Cordova is a small fishing village near the mouth of the copper river with a population of about 2,400.  You can't get there by car.  You must fly or ferry to Cordova.  I've tried to plan Alaskan trips for the last few years but they had not worked out.  I had planned on running my Alaskan marathon in Anchorage.  But, if I was going to go all that way, I wanted to run something special - a bit our of the ordinary.  It appears that I might have found it in Cordova.  I first had Copper River salmon in Idaho.  If you haven't had a variety of the wild salmon, it is amazing, everything about it, and cooked (or smoked) in so many different ways.  Cordova celebrates with a salmon festival .  The weekend includes a salmon jam music festival, a taste of Cordova food (salmon) festival, craft fair and of course the Salmon Runs which include a marathon (king), half-marathon (sockeye), 10K (coho), and 5K (humpy).  Last year the marathon had only 50 participants.  This will be the smallest race (not just marathons) that I have ever run.  The course is flat, being at sea level with breath-taking snow-covered mountain backdrops and temps in the 50's.  Cindy is registered to walk the 5K after recovering from her hip surgery.  We are staying at a two room place called the Dragonfly Inn which I think is in the basement of someone's house.  When I made the reservation, they didn't even take a credit card but I have continued to confirm.  Its going to be a great trip which I will continue share as time goes on.

Days 161-163: 14 miles: 2014: 831 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment