Tuesday, November 3, 2015

City of Unrest at Rest - Baltimore Marathon in Charm City

In April, Baltimore was a city of unrest due to the Freddy Gray incident.  I'll never understand, even in tragedy and unfortunate circumstances, why the people of a city destroy their own neighborhoods with fires, looting, violence, etc.  I even find it rather ridiculous that people do the same when their sports teams win the big title.  Who are these people with such anger, even in the wake of celebration, that results in communities being destroyed?  They are not the same people I saw lining the streets during the Baltimore Running Festival.  Or, maybe they are but the running festival brings out a different demeanor.  With the vivid exception of the 2013 Boston Marathon where violence from terrorism brought the pinnacle of marathons to its knees in prayer on Patriots day, marathons are joyous, harmonized events that bring people of all classes, religions, races, nationalities, political views, sexual orientations, etc. together as one unique symphony - united we stand (and run). Recently, Afghanistan held its first marathon and a woman (who are largely confined to the indoors) defied danger and went the distance. It was held in the safest area of the country but shows what marathons and running in general can do for a community, individuals, and equality.  In the good ol' USA, we take it for granted that the majority of runners, marathoners, half-marathoners are women.  My point to all of this is that running makes the world a better place.  It makes individuals happier people.  It harmonizes diverse groups. It brings peaceful attention to our concerns. It honors, in life and death, our loved ones. There is no other sport quite like it.  I am convinced that the world would be a better place if everybody ran.  I've posted this infographic before.  Granted, it is from a shoe manufacturer, but imagine if...everybody ran...





The Baltimore Marathon

With the unrest in April, Corrigan Sports Enterprises, the producer of the Baltimore Running Festival, and the City of Baltimore wanted to showcase that the city seen splattered all over the news in April was not the same city depicted in those violent images. Baltimore is nicknamed Charm City which was a promotional effort in 1975 (pre-harbor place, -aquarium, -science center) by then mayor William Schafer to change Baltimore's image.  Is it truly Charm City?

Being born and raised in Hagerstown, MD in the 1960's and 70's, Baltimore was not a place to venture to except to catch an Orioles game at the classic 33rd street memorial stadium.  Riots were everywhere during that time period of civil unrest, Hagerstown included, and care was taken when venturing into big cities.  My dad was born in Baltimore in 1919 in an area where lower income projects are now located.  The picture below shows the harbor in 1919. I suspect runners would have had to side-step horse manure along the course making it more of an urban trail run.



No, there was no Baltimore marathon in 1919.  The first Maryland Marathon was in 1973 and Bill Rodgers won the event in 1976. Dave Cooley ran 3 Maryland Marathons but more impressively produced and directed over 600 events in the Baltimore area.  He was tapped by Lee Corrigan of CSE to direct the inaugural Baltimore Marathon in 2001, just 30 days after the 9/11 attacks.  The inaugural Baltimore Marathon was just that, a marathon.  There was no other event that year.  It was going to be my second marathon and first since NYC in 1994.  However, it wasn't my first choice. I should say it wasn't our first first because my nephew, Shawn Doub (whose PR is on the Baltimore Marathon course at 3:36 in 2003), and I wanted to run the Marine Corp Marathon. It was sold out and the overflow of runners came to the Baltimore Marathon as we did.  To this date, the 2001 marathon has had the most number of finishers - 4,829.  It was also the hardest course presented and the drop-off of runners in 2002 by over half reflected this.  Little did I know that I would be running the marathon year after year for 15 consecutive years.

The Baltimore Running Festival

The BRF now  has an event for everyone - kids run, 5K, half-marathon, relay, marathon and in 2015, the .05 with 20,000 - 25,000 participants.  For a few years UnderArmour was the title sponsor and they still give unmatched technical shirts to the runners.  I still wear my inaugural shirt to the expo each year in support of the longevity of the event, the longevity of me running it and in memory of those lost on that tragic day - 9/11/2001-  as the shirt has a simple remembrance on the front.  As streakers (those of us who have run any event year after year), CSE has recognized us every 5 years and on the 10th anniversary, we were given the name of MoVeRs or Most Valuable Runners.  This year, on the 15th anniversary, was no exception.  There are now about 69 MoVeRs and 29 who have streaked the marathon.  CSE along with UnderArmour provided us a goodie bag likely worth around $300. But, it was the person who presented it to us at the expo that made it special.  Dave Cooley, the famed Baltimore race director mentioned above, who directed the event from 2001-2005 was there to chat with, sign autographs, and give us our goodies.  I wore my inaugural shirt and brought my 2001 bib for him to sign. He is 83 and I hope that I am that spry when I'm 83.


Dave (green shirt), me and another MoVeR
The goodies included an UnderArmour jacket with 15th anniversary logo, hat, $15 discount on merchandise, 2 free entries to the 2016 BRF, and VIP tent access at the finish.  Thank you CSE for recognizing us and our participation over the years.

Expo

The Expo is held either at the Baltimore Ravens stadium on the club level or the convention center.  The stadium provides for a unique experience but is getting more crowded.  The convention center allows for more room but takes the uniqueness away.  The stadium needed better guidance this year as the line to pick up half marathon bibs was extremely long but there was no guidance as to what the line was for.  I figured that it couldn't be for the marathon so I kept walking past it.  Sure enough, when I found the marathon line, I was the second runner in it. When the expo is at the stadium, I enjoy walking through Camden Yards and seeing all of the Orioles "stuff."  Growing up with the Orioles, it brings back some fond memories.  The walk down Eutaw street through the finish line lets you visualize and feel the line that needs to be crossed in the morning.




The UnderArmour sponsored race shirts were quite nice this year being their soft technical material with a brushed red finish.  The course runs in and around Underarmour's world headquarters at mile 11.

Pratt Street Ale House



It has now become tradition to have lunch at the Pratt Street Ale House and drink one of their cask ales.  It is difficult to find cask ales here in America and what better way to celebrate a marathon than with a cask ale.  The food here is also good.

Pratt Street Ale House
Baltimore
 
USS Constitution at Harborplace
Bromo Seltzer Tower - when you see it the finish is near
The Harbor
Brooks Robinson outside Camden Yards
Race Day

There are many things to like about this running festival.  I am big on smart logistics and the BRF has them.  The inner harbor is a wonderful place to visit even without a running festival.  There are plenty of hotels within walking distance of the inner harbor and the stadiums where the Ravens and Orioles play.  CSE has made sure that these areas remain the center of activity for the festival and takes advantages of the close proximity of area hotels.  When you arrive in Baltimore either by plane or car, there is no need to use a car after you get into downtown.  Everything, including the festival activities like the expo, start/finish lines, celebration village is all there.  I have stayed in 5 different hotels over 15 years and never had more than half mile to go to anything.  My biggest pet peeve with marathon logistics when determining which marathon to run relates to how conducive they are for convenience to me as a runner and ALSO to the person who cheers me on.  I have said this before but I cannot stand a course that starts at one place and ends like 5-8 miles away with the exception of point to point courses that take advantage of course highlights, topography, etc.  The Rock n Roll courses tend to be logistical nightmares for participants and spectators, like DC, New Orleans to name a couple.  Charleston, although not a Rock n Roll course is another non-nonsensical course.  The Baltimore marathon course is not a pure loop but a serpentine course that allows spectators to see their people at the start, mile 8, mile 13 and the finish. It highlights the good and the bad of the city, starting at Camden Yards, runs through the zoo, Druid Hill, around the harbor, through Underarmour, Federal hill, 33rd street, Lake Montebello, Johns Hopkins, near Little Italy and Fells Point to name a few and finishes in between Camden yards and Ravens Stadium.  It is not an easy course but a fair one.

Although I was looking forward to the marathon, I was unsure how the day would go.  I really had not run well since Montana in July and had some severe issues in Kauai for my 50th state in September.  I just kept the faith that I could get through the marathon.  I felt decent through the first 9 miles being right on a 4:20 pace which was also faster than what I had planned. The course then sent runners out 2 miles to UA Headquarters and back to the harbor for the half-way point.  Cindy was waiting between miles 8 and 9 and then at the half.  When I got to the half, I was starting to feel a little drained, again, not good for a marathon to be feeling like that so early.  I had her walk with me a bit, which was kind of an added touch, while I ate a banana.  I ran the half in 2:10 and still ahead of my projected finish.  Miles 13-16, to me, and as I heard others say are the worst miles mentally of this course.  They are flat but just kind of there. The excitement of the harbor at halfway is behind and the hardest pat of the course lies ahead.  these miles are like the calm before the storm.  I started to incorporate some walk breaks after mile 16 which is where the hills start to kick in.  I figured if I could keep the running up with minimal walk breaks, I would be fine.  It worked well up through about mile 22 and then I kind of fell apart again, the second marathon in a row where I would struggle to the finish.  It was still a great feeling running down Eutaw street, seeing the Bromo Seltzer Tower, the entrance to Camden yards, the serenity of the outfield between the warehouse and finally Cindy just outside the finish line.  They double barricaded the area around the finish so no hug or kiss this time.  I crossed the line in 5:05, the worst of my 15 Baltimore Marathons, a course I had run 3:47 on at one time.  My, how age and having 89 marathons on your body affects your times but I would not trade those experiences for anything.  I Did tell Cindy at the end that I thought I needed a break because it was becoming difficult to enjoy the 26 miles.  I realize that most of it is me.  I can't blame it all on age. I should be training better, eating better and maybe altering my running form to compensate for the aches and pains.  But truly, I don't want to stop.  I do enjoy even the worst days, the ones that show your character, the ones that require a faith beyond yourself but in God, the ones that preserve hope for the future.

I have run 15 marathons in 2 years including some of the most difficult marathon courses in the country.  We have traveled to Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, New Mexico, Wyoming.  How can this not be fun?  It is fun but outside of the marathon, we make it fun also.  I guess fun is in the eye of the beholder.

So, back to the title of this post.  Events like this bring people together, not just the runners and their families but the people of the city including all the volunteers, citizens, police, and city workers, There was no unrest to be seen.  It was truly Charm City.  The people of Baltimore cheering us on, even in the worst areas, were welcoming and inviting, encouraging us with each step.  The police did the same and as I thanked them they were gracious in return with their smiles and accolades.  We were also told at the restaurant we went to that the police have a choice of either working or running on festival day.  I admire them being involved either way.  The city,even the media welcomes this day more than any other mid-sized city.  WBAL televises the entire marathon and people in the neighborhoods just love the worst parade ever.  It was rest, play and joy in a city that has known its share of unrest. That's what marathons do.

Pictorial


The start
Cannon of Confetti and Oriole man holding his flag 


Hope this guy did well - kind of felt for him

All dressed up and 26.2 to go!

Snipers at the start on the Hampton and Camden Yards

One last selfie


Protected by Baltimore's finest

Our penguin friend when running through the zoo.  I saw him in person, Cindy saw him on TV

The masses coming down St. Paul street mile 8.5

Oriole man - yes he runs like this every year

Half way

Cindy seeing the faster people from our hotel room

A casual stroll to the finish - yes I can still smile after 26 miles

Celebration dinner at the Rusty Scupper on the Harbor



No comments:

Post a Comment