Friday, April 10, 2020

60th Birthday Surprise - In More Ways Than One - Black Mountain Marathon

It was my first marathon as a 60-year-old, a day after my 60th birthday. and on Leap Day 2020. Overall, my 109th marathon. I wanted to run something difficult to show, as a 60-year-old, I could still get after it. I thought that the Black Mountain Marathon would fit the bill - did it ever. I also wanted to make it a nice birthday weekend with my wife Cynthia Anne. The Arbor House B&B sits right on Lake Tomahawk just across from the finish. So, I registered for the race the day registration opened for the marathon (40-mile Mount Mitchell Challenge was sold-out) and made a reservation at Arbor House. All set! This was all done back in September, five months prior to the event.

On November 2nd, I did the Tideland 24 Hour event, 80 miles, 24 hours. Not long after the event, I had a bit of an injury in my calf. I took some time off to let it heal and on Thanksgiving, I ran a tough half-marathon (Skinny Turkey) and won 2nd in my age group as a 59-year-old in a time of 1:51:29. I felt really great with that performance although I still had to closely monitor my calf and run slightly different making sure I didn't hit the downhills too hard and strain he calf again. In mid-December, I struggled again with a groin injury and after a couple of false starts (always coming back too early) it put me out of commission for much of late December through mid-January. With Black Mountain at the end of February, and the difficulty of the course with elevation and being on a trail, I thought that there was no way I was going to be trained in time.

The Decision

In mid-January, I decided to cancel my registration and let someone else on the wait-list participate. I also canceled the B&B. I explained to both that due to injury and the technical nature of the course, I did not think it was safe to participate.  That same week I started light running again and ran 30 miles. I looked for other races in mid-March but it was eating me up inside that I could not do Black Mountain. I had not heard back from the race director but I did get a cancellation from the B&B having to eat a $50 deposit. After a week of pondering, I decided that if my registration had not been canceled, that I was going to give it a go. I contacted the race director again and fortunately, he had not gotten around to reviewing my email and was in the process of looking at my information. He said that he hadn't canceled me yet and if I still wanted to run, that he would see me at the event. Great! Now, for the B&B. I looked on Arbor House's website and the room that I canceled was still available. Yay! I reserved the room again and asked if they could apply my original $50. They did. Again, all set!

Training

I am not one to cram for marathons but because I run so many a year, I feel like I am generally trained or at least have a solid base for a 26.2-mile adventure. It's not like I am going to win but I am pretty confident in a solid finish. Well, not this time. With only 6 weeks until Black Mountain and not having run much in the 3 weeks prior and at least 5 weeks interspersed with groin pain, I wasn't as confident. Feeling better and not having pain in my groin, I put in weeks of 48, 45, 42, 40 and a taper week of 18 miles. The only training that I could not get much of was elevation gain. Since Black Mountain included elevation gain of 3300 feet on the trail up to about 5300 feet, I knew that this would still be a challenge. I also bought a Salomon Adv Skin 12L vest and trained some with it on the Umstead park trails knowing that there would also need to be some self-support in what they call the back country.

Weather Watching

The weather for the Black Mountain Marathon and Mount Mitchell Challenge is ALWAYS the true challenge. I watched closely starting 10 days out, of course, knowing, the weather changes so drastically that is was a bit futile. the weather a few days before was going to be beautiful, the temperature near 60 and sunny. The trail was void of any snow due to the mild winter. However, the weekend looked like snow was very much a possibility as well as temperatures in the 20's. Running up a mountain on rocky trails was going to be challenging enough but doing it in the snow with temperatures below freezing? Hmm, needed to be prepared! I still had hope.

Thursday

It was quite a nice day driving from Durham to Black Mountain but the forecast was ominous for race day. We drove past Black Mountain to Asheville for packet pickup at Black Dome Mountain Sports. This is where I found out that the 40-mile challenge was canceled due to the forecast of snow and that everyone would be running the marathon. The race director said that they were expecting 9 inches of snow and single digits from the Blue Ridge Parkway to Mount Mitchell (the highest peak east of the Mississippi). The National Park Service was closing the park. The race had to use ATV vehicles to get volunteers and supplies to the aid stations for the marathon. The volunteers also had to camp overnight in single-digit temperatures.  OK, so I won't complain about running. Volunteers (at all races) are amazing. We were given our race number, shirt and a pint glass with a ticket for a brew at Pisgah brewing.

We ventured back to Black Mountain and checked into the lovely Arbor House. The Lookout suite overlooked the lake and the path that runners would take to the finish. It was a large very pretty room. The innkeepers were very friendly and certainly tuned into the needs of the runners. For that weekend, everyone staying was related to running. After getting settled, we ate at Fresh - Wood-fired pizza and pasta. A quaint little place with tasty pizza and local brews.


Our view from the Lookout Suite overlooking the finish


Lake Tomahawk


Wood-fired pizza



Friday (Birthday)

Friday morning at breakfast, we met a few runners, a father, and a son and their support person (wife/mother). The father was the oldest runner last year and again this year. It was the son's first marathon. Wow! What a doozy for a first marathon! To make matters worst, he was from Houston, not known for their mountain ranges. Two other runners were arriving Friday evening.  After a leisurely breakfast, we explore Montreat and Black Mountain. The course includes Montreat and running through the college. We strolled around and it was getting noticeably colder. We visited downtown Black Mountain stopping in Vertical Runner and having lunch at North Fork Kitchen. We made our way back to the B&B and hung out for a bit. The weather report was still chancy and it was getting a bit cloudier. Cindy didn't want me to open presents yet and we also had 6 cupcakes to devour.

Beauty of a day

Montreat Colleage


Montreat College

Dam at Lake Susan

Downtown Black Mountain

Big

Local running store

North Fork


Surprise, surprise, surprise!

Cindy told me that she was going down to get a cup of tea. OK, sounds good. When she returned, opened the door, there was my nephew Shawn surprising me to spend the weekend! I was shocked. It's not like he hadn't surprised me before at a race but to drive 7 hours to hang out (particularly on my 60th birthday)was quite a special treat. I was so happy to see him, being with my two favorite people in the world. It was great! A little bit later, it was time to open gifts. Shawn brought me some really nice brews from Cushwa's brewing. OK, he knows me all too well. Cindy did something truly amazing. She sent pictures of my 50 states' marathons that I had completed and had a blanket made from them. It was truly special! Of course, she is special! Beer and running, perfect together, from my two favorite people, my wife, and my brother in arms. Later we went back to Fresh and had pasta, the pre-marathon meal for every runner. After returning from dinner, Shawn and I went to the runner briefing. It was a full house at the White Horse and there was a nervous excitement in the air. After returning to the B&B, having cupcakes and hanging out, it was time to prepare for the morning adventure.
Shawn surprising me

The best gift ever - bibs from 50 state marathons



Back ar Fresh

Still nice the evening before

Runner's meeting


I laid everything out on the floor. multiple shirts, gloves, buffs, knit hats, base layer, wind pants, Smartwool socks, trail shoes. I then packed my vest; water bottles, chap stick, hand warmers, additional gloves, buff, and socks, GUs, food bars. The weather called for snow, winds, temperatures in the low 20;s. Of 108 previous marathons, I had never prepared like this. I never needed to.

Figuring out what I was going to wear

Laying it all out


Race Morning

When I awoke at 4:00 AM and looked outside, I was shocked at how hard it was snowing, how much it was blowing and how easily it was laying. I guess I had hoped that the weather report was going to be wrong and that most of the snow would be higher up the mountain. I kept looking outside to see if it was slowing down. It wasn't. As it got closer to saddling up and choosing clothes, I knew that it was going to be most of them. The straight temperature was 22 and I suspect in the teens with the windchill. So, I went with 3 shirts and a wind/waterproof jacket, base layer of pants and wind pants, a pair of gloves and finger-less mittens over top, the Smartwool socks and Saucony Peregrine trail shoes. I also had La Sportiva shoes with me but I was going to wear them with exposed rocks. There was nothing going to be exposed on this course; even the roads leading up through Montreat to the single-track trail were snow-covered for the most part. I saw on social media that locals from within 30 miles away were canceling because the roads were treacherous getting to Black Mountain.

After Shawn arrived, we headed to the start. We sat in the car while it snowed and watched other runners running down the road to the start from wherever they had parked. As we headed to the start line on Cherry street, the wind blew the snow sideways at times. This was definitely going to be an adventure. Even on a good day, I was hoping to break 6 hours where my normal marathon time is around 4:10. I am not a great trail runner so I knew that I would need to compensate. I also thought that with snow coverage, the rocks would not protrude so much so maybe it would be easier. Not!

Waking up to this

And this

Waiting to walk to the start

A little help from my bro

Happy crew

Crazies - nearly 400 of us

The train sepot

and off we go


The Race (or adventure, or hike, or...)

With little fanfare, "Go" was shouted and off we went for a few miles on the road. There were a few exposed places but generally, the road was snow and ice-covered. I ran slowly and easily. As we made our way up through Montreat College; the road got steeper. It was now time for 5 miles or so of single track trail. This was the most treacherous part of the race. As we climbed up the mountain, the trail was slippery and with little room for error in some places. I ran where I could and walked to stay safe in places. With no snow, this part may have been pretty run-able. We then got to a short set of stairs. A backup ensued because the stairs were ice-covered and treacherous literally some having to slides down on their butt's. OK, made it down and then the trail got steep going up and people sliding back. I caught one lady with my hands on her back to help her up. Another treacherous spot was so sloped you had to go across on your butt sideways. Maybe it was just us mid/back-packers but it was a challenge. Finally, after 5 miles of trail and 2 miles of road, we reached the first aid station. I was so relieved. I had some coke, a Gu, chips, and a cookie. This started the double-track section which was up the mountain for the next 7 miles with more snow, up to 5 inches as we climbed. The view was beautiful from the mountains and the snow really did make it special. Certainly, it was an adventure and for me, it turned into a hike/run.  The second aid station came after the next 3 miles and then we climbed another 4 miles to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Ramon noodles awaited and I was so thankful for the volunteers. I asked one guy to get a dry buff and dry gloves out of my pack for me. He so obliged and put the wet stuff in the pouch. OK, over halfway at 14 miles in about 3 1/2 hours.

Entering Montreat

Still on the road up through Montreat Colleage

Getting closer to trail

and on the single track trail

Following

Where'd everyone go?

Getting up the mountain

Some people using hiking poles

farther up the mountain

The treacherous stairs down and up the other side

Amazing volunteers!

Entering the back country and taking numbers to make sure you come out of the back country. The lady in front here also has her birthday on February 28 - odd running into her




First aid if needed






At each aid station, I called Cindy to let her know where I was, how I was doing and expected finish time. I had estimated halfway that I was going to be closer to 7 hours. Now, I had to run back down the mountain to that first aid station. On my way up the mountain, the sun started coming out. The snow had stopped and it was pretty. So, on the way back down, the farther I got down the mountain, more of the snow had melted and the rocks were exposed, there was more water also with the melting snow. It was a mix of mud, ice, snow, and rocks. How fun! There were sections that I ran for periods of time and then mixing it with some hiking. When I got to the middle aid station on the way back and tried to call Cindy, the phone wouldn't go on. I think the cold got to it and drained the battery. Again, I wanted to give her status or how I was doing and my ETA at the finish. I continued down the double-track trail knowing that the larger aid station was only a few miles away. Once I got there, I had chips, cookie and coke. It seemed to be my staples for the day.

The next section was the steepest section of a course that I have ever ran. For the next two miles or so, I was jamming my toes into the front of my shoes and my knees were exploding. I was so happy to get off that section of the course which took me down through Montreat. The remaining course was easy trail, road and green-way but after 23 miles of what I just experienced, there ain't nothin' easy. One saving grace was that all of the snow that we ran through in the beginning was gone and the sun was shining. I was looking forward to the lap around the lake to the finish line and seeing Shawn and Cindy.

I get to the cinder path that goes around Lake Tomahawk to the finish and although I wasn't able to call Cindy, I was still close enough to my finish time that I thought that I would see them. While running on the path toward the B&B, I saw a man holding a duck, I stopped to pet a dog, and then waved at the B&B if for some reason they were still there. But, I really thought that they would be at the finish.  When seeing the finish line and the clock at 6:47 I figured that it was close enough to 7 hours, that they would be there cheering me on, especially for my birthday run. I crossed the line and I did not see them. I didn't hear anyone. It was so anti-climactic. I walked partially around the lake and back to the boathouse, past the guy holding the duck. I didn't realize that the food, drink and our finisher's fleece were all in the boathouse. I got my hot dog and kept looking for them but nowhere in sight. Finally, I tried my phone and it had 2% charge. I called and said that I had been done for 15 minutes. Frankly, it was funny and fitting for the day. The finisher's fleece was quite nice.

Not me but shows a runner on the path in front of the B&B

Pretty finish

Finally meeting up with Shawn and Cindy :)


Shawn asked if I would do it again. At the time I said, likely not, but after more thought, and after surviving the experience in probably the most difficult conditions (although I think cold rain would suck more) I think I would do it again. Sometimes the hardest most challenging races are the experiences you remember most. I will likely not forget about this one. They are considering moving it to April to have a better chance at good weather but in some ways the variability of the weather adds another dimension of difficulty. Although for the Mount Mitchell Challenger's it eliminate their race.

The Day After

Breakfast, the day after, was filled with stories from the other runners. It was fun to hear the challenges, the good, the bad and the ugly. I think I experienced it all and isn't that the point? To experience it all?

Just race day had snow
How pretty



Overall, it was a great weekend!

The best


the three amigos - race crew





No comments:

Post a Comment