Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Wherever You Are, There Is No Fog

Cindy has wanted to take a canoe ride on our lake while the fog was emanating from the warm water on a cold, fresh day. This past Saturday, we awoke to a cool, crisp day with the lake looking like something you would see in an eerie movie about a swamp monster wrecking havoc on a community from the depths of a lake.  Ahhh, the perfect time to canoe! Fog had enveloped the lake and the sun was just about to break the horizon. A brilliant splotch of light peaking through the trees to energize the fog and eventually disseminate it from the lake.

Casey, our dog has taken to riding in our canoe with us.  No small feat with him being a long, tall dog of 65 pounds.  He does stay still for the most part, follows the birds and geese and stays on the lookout for the swamp monster. with me in the back, I just make slight adjustments to my balance at times to accommodate his excitement.

We boarded the canoe and started our journey.  Cindy wanted to be in the middle of the fog to get the feeling of trolling through a Louisiana swamp in the silence of first daylight.  Only dueling banjos would have brought it to life even more.  Once we started canoeing, it seemed like wherever we were there was no fog, like it dissipated with the stroke of our oars and our radiant bodies.  She said, "I want to be in the fog."  I said, "wherever you are, there is no fog." Frankly, I had no idea if this was true or not but our initial venture to the lower end of the lake did seem to prove this. As the sun rose, the rest of the canoe ride was filled with brilliance, not in our mind brilliance, but in the physicality of nature and being in the middle of it, swamp monster and all.

After these pictures, I'll write about how this relates to running.  It is, after all, a running blog.


Sun peeking through at sunrise

On our way

The back of our house on the left

Two lone ducks amidst the fog
The foggy cove
Off the bow

Momma and dog

Casey boy enjoying the morning

Heading home

Home

So after our foggy bottom journey, I went for an 11 mile run on the American Tobacco Trail, a fine trail that stretches 22 miles from Durham to Apex.  We live near the middle of the trail.  As I was running I thought about what I said to Cindy, "wherever you are there is no fog."  This is the essence of running.  Removing the fogginess from your brain to give you clarity in life.  In a run, "wherever I am there is no fog" only clarity.  I become a different person while running, more social, more engaged, a better problem solver.  The fog of the world lifts. In my mind I've created new businesses while running, solved complex work problems, volunteered for those in need or want, contemplated the bible, prayed with God and Jesus.  It is like the Johnny Nash song I Can See Clearly Now:

I can see clearly now the rain is gone.
I can see all obstacles in my way.
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind.
It's gonna be a bright (bright)
bright (bright) sunshiny day.
It's gonna be a bright (bright)
bright (bright) sunshiny day.

Oh, yes I can make it now the pain is gone.
All of the bad feelings have disappeared.
Here is that rainbow I've been praying for.
It's gonna be a bright (bright)
bright (bright) sunshiny day.

(ooh...) Look all around, there's nothing but blue skies.

Look straight ahead, there's nothing but blue skies.

This is what the day was like when I was on my run, a bright, bright sunshiny day, nothing but blue skies. Each step dissipated the foggy, noisy way of the world.  Quiet among the tall North Carolina pines, the pattering of footsteps on the trail and an occasional smile and good morning from other runners while their fog lifts.  Wherever they are there is no fog.

But, my biggest challenge is to bring that clarity back into a foggy, noisy world, a world where zero visibility is the norm while being constantly connected. In some case I have been able to meet the challenge, in others, not so much but will continue to try.  It is ironic that as connected as we are, we are ever further from reality and clarity.  Running is the one time of day that I can at least contemplate reality, truth, be a visionary, address my own deficiencies and sins and see the world as a bright sunshiny day. Running is not the only way to lift the fog but I will argue that some form of exercise outdoors lifts the fog from the valley. If you can't run (or hate it) then walk, hike, canoe, just something so that you are not a foggy bottom boy (or girl).

Wherever you are there is no fog.

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment